I had a solid cake craving and 4 over-ripe bananas so knew what needed to be done with my afternoon. This cake/ loaf is fudgey and not too sweet so could easily pass as a breakfast food. As a bonus, it’s gluten-free, vegan and sugar free.
I had it hot out of the oven spread with coconut oil that melted into it. A little drizzle of maple syrup wouldn’t go astray either
Banana and Cocoa Nib Loaf
- 3 large overripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup dates, covered in 3/4 cup boiling water then pureed
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or maple syrup for a sweet loaf)
- 1 chia egg*
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup cocoa nibs
Preheat oven to 180*C and line a loaf tin.
Mix together bananas, coconut oil, pureed dates.
In a separate bowl, combine flours, baking powder and soda, salt, spices, walnuts and cocoa nibs. Add banana mixture and chia egg and mix well.
Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for 45-1 hour, until a skewer inserted comes out clean.