Smooth and creamy avocado mixed with sexy and tangy crimson-fleshed orange. This Blood Orange Salsa is as delicious as it is dramatic looking. A match made in arranged food marriage heaven with fish.
Artwork by Laurie Stansfield
Blood Orange Salsa
- 2 blood oranges, skin & pith removed, cut into fine chunks
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- 6 sprigs coriander stems & leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 green or red chilli, finely sliced (seeds removed if it is of the very hot variety)
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Combine oranges, avocado, shallot and coriander in a bowl.
In a separate bowl, mix together the chilli, lime and olive oil. Add salt to taste, then add to the orange mixture and toss gently.
Sprinkle over some desiccated coconut for an added tropical boost.
Illustration by Laurie Stansfield.