Green Papaya Salad
- 1 green (unripe) papaya
- 1 punnet (about 2 cups) o’ cherry tomatoes, halfed
- 1/2 cup of shredded mint
- 1/3 cup of coriander
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, chopped/crushed roughly
- 1 long red chilli, finely sliced into rings
- 1/4 cup deep fried eschallots
- 1/4 cup of fish sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tblsp palm sugar (or white sugar)
Peel the papaya with a potato peeler until all skin is removed. Slice in half and scrape out the white seeds. Depending what gadgets you have available, slice or grate the papaya into julienne strips. A food process with an attachment slicer is most ideal – otherwise, power through – it can be a tough shredding at times!
Combine the papaya in a large bowl with the rest of the ingredients and give it a good stir. Make the dressing by combining all ingredients. Pour over the salad and serve with extra garnish of peanuts, fried eschallots, chilli and herbs.