Our Lentil Burgers recipe is illustrated by Melbourne-based artist/illustrator Belinda Suzette. Belinda is inspired by culture and celebration – her work covers a range of styles in both digital and traditional mediums.
- 250 g (1 cup) red lentils
- vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil, plus extra for frying
- 1 onion, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 medium carrots, grated (about 2 cups)
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs, plus extra for coating lentil burgers
- 1 egg, beaten
- Natural yoghurt and sweet chilli sauce, to serve
To make lentil burgers, combine lentils and stock in a saucepan and cook, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, until soft. Place in a sieve to dry and cool completely.
Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger and fry for about 5 minutes, until onion softens. Add curry powder and fry for a minute until curry powder is fragrant. Add carrots and celery and fry for about 8 minutes, until softened, then remove from heat.
Combine carrot mixture in a large bowl with lentils, add remaining ingredients and mix well. Shape into patties and set aside.
Pour some breadcrumbs into a shallow dish. Dip patties into the breadcrumbs and coat on each side. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add burgers, reduce heat to medium and cook for about 5 minutes on one side, then flip and cook for a further 2-3 minutes on the other side.