This festive-looking number is fresh and crunchy, with hints of sweet and sour flavours. A perfect accompaniment for Christmas roasts, summer picnics and BBQs.
I went for a long grain rice as I like how it holds up in salads, but you could use white or brown and your grain of preference, like farro, freekah or quinoa.
Rice Salad with Cashews, Pomegranate & Mint
- 1 cup rice, cooked and cooked
- 150g cashews, lightly roasted in a frying pan or oven
- 1 cup mint, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, finely sliced
- 2 sticks celery, thinly sliced
- handful celery leaves
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- 1 teaspoons sugar
- Seeds from 1/2 pomegranate
Combine rice, cashews, mint, parsley, celery, celery leaves and spring onions in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, sumac and sugar, then add salt to taste.
Add dressing and pomegranate seeds to the salad mixture and toss gently and thoroughly to combine.